Signed up for 2018 Medicare Plan D drug coverage using Express Scripts - Saver (PDP). Went to CVS store, a Preferred pharmacy under Express Scripts - Saver (PDP), to fill Nifedipine XR 30MG 2x daily for 90 days. Pricing under Medicare website when selecting this plan was $62.46. Pricing when checking on Express Scripts website is $62.46. The pharmacy charged $144.02. In attempting to sort out the problem, I was told by Express Scripts Customer Service (3 calls) that pricing varies at pharmacies and that is just the way it is.

There was and is no mention in any website or plan materials that says pricing will vary by a given Preferred Pharmacy. I paid 2.3 times the advertised price for this drug and am being told that is the way it is. That constitutes deceptive pricing practices by Express Scripts. I attempted to get Express Scripts to refund the difference for this one example and they said no and that Express Scripts would rather have me file a complaint with CMS. So I did.

CMS received the complaint and forwarded it back to Express Scripts Complaint Department. The Express Scripts Complaint Department representative (Dana) told me that there is fine print on the Express Scripts website saying that prices are only estimates. When questioned by me that 2.3 times the advertised price seems to stretch the word estimate, Dana agreed. But, Dana went on to say that that is the way it is and Express Scripts has nothing further to add. My conclusion remains the same…

Express Scripts website and plan materials are deceptive. They are a deceptive company that feels the fine print on their documents protects them. Express Scripts is not a company that honest people should do business with.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

I didn't like: Overcharged, Service quality.

Comments

ExpressRxHelp
Express Scripts Verified Representative

Hello user49620247.We understand your concern and we can always give more insight into your plan benefits.

Please email your full name, DOB, phone number, member ID and review #1214800 to ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com.A member from our team will look into this and reach out to you.Thank you.-Adam, Express Scripts

to ExpressRxHelp #1449222

I have already done that and received the feedback cited in the summary. No point doing that again.